DID YOU KNOW?
1 in 5 Americans suffer from mental illness…that’s a staggering 20%. Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), 2011
The World Health Organization has reported that 4 of the 10 leading causes of disability in the US and other developed countries are mental disorders. National Alliance of Mental Illness
Is it covered by Medicare?
Yes, CMS approves psychiatric nursing as a covered benefit in the scope of home health care services. There is no out of pocket expense with home care psychiatric nursing.
Psychiatric nursing in home care is considered less expensive, yet just as effective as care patients receive in the hospital or skilled nursing facility.
How can a patient receive the care?
Patients with mental health disorders qualify for home care psychiatric nursing services:
- Order from patient’s MD or DO.
- Any new onset or exacerbation of illness.
- Patient meets the criteria for homebound status.
- Services ordered are considered reasonable and necessary.
- Patient is compliant with set CMS guidelines monitored by John Paul Home Care.
Psychiatric Nursing Benefits for home care
What will the Psych nurse do?
- Maintain “SAFETY FIRST” while evaluating patient’s needs.
- Assess and evaluate medication compliance/effectiveness
- Work to prevent “revolving door syndrome”
- Educate/Teach the patient and family regarding disease processes
- Relapse prevention (Identify relapse triggers)
- Assist patient to achieve optimal independence with ADLs.
In home care, our psychiatric nurses can treat the new onset or exacerbation of the following diagnoses:
- Alzheimer’s Disease/Dementia
- Personality Disorders